Monday, August 15, 2011

K2 Or K12? They are both a HUGE leap!

8-23-11

***I actually wrote this post last week, but didn't publish it until today.**


8-15-11

Ok. After much consideration.....the decision has been made.





I spent time this morning with an acquaintance and as we talked I could tell that we have the potential to be great friends! She very willingly and lovingly guided me through the myriad of choices for home school curriculum like a seasoned veteran! She emphasized the importance of a classical education and pointed out that children who complete homeschool are actually recruited by colleges. She gave me a curriculum to use if I wanted it, showed me examples of others, talked me through a day in the life, supported my decision and listened to all my woes and reasons for wanting to homeschool. She armed me with some questions to ask at the informational meeting I went to today for K12 and assured me that no matter what I choose, she will be there to support me. What a blessing!





The I went to the K12 meeting and saw my other homeschooling friend there. She is entering her second year homeschooling and was also very supportive and encouraging and was so excited that we were there! She was kind enough to let me come over and look at all her materials so that I could get an idea of what a Virtual Charter Academy was like. It was wonderful to be able to touch and see first hand the quality of the materials I would be using. I am truly grateful for her time and kindness, too!





I can see benefits to both ways of homeschooling. One allows complete freedom and one allows freedom, but with guidance and some accountability. Knowing myself the way I do (sometimes needing some guidance and accountability), and recognizing that my husband needs the structure of a published curriculum to feel comfortable in this endeavor, the decision seems right.





So, there we have it. K12, it is.

No comments: